The day I met Tarrolly was the day I was born. (Well, maybe 9 months or so before that in the backseat of a 57 Chevy, but I’m not here to argue conception). It was a great day because, well, I was given the opportunity to meander through life until I decided at age 48 I would do an Ironman. This is the craziest and most encompassing commitment I’ve ever made and I’m not sure if I realize what I’ve gotten myself into. Without a doubt, the best part is having a group of guys around the same skill level chasing the same prize. If it weren’t for one of them, Jim Schwan, I wouldn’t be writing this post right now. The other key ingredient is the East Nasty Running Club, which has given me structure, great people/support, and energy to keep pushing my limits. Here is a brief summary of me and the things I enjoy.
1. Where are you from? Beloit, Wisconsin
2. What are your favorite running shoes? Pearl Izumi
3. What kind of bike do you ride? Trek Concept 2, Gary Fisher MB
4. What’s your age group for Ironman Wisconsin? Over 49
5. What’s your go-to workout meal? Fish, pasta, green veggies
6. Favorite beer? Guinness
7. What was your favorite race to date? Ironman Wisconsin
8. What are you most looking forward to on this journey? To see how far my body and mind will go. The shot of the cannon.
9. What are you least looking forward to? Being patient with training.
10. What is your strongest discipline? The Bike
11. How would you respond to the criticism that endurance athletes are self-centered because they spend so much time training? I think there’s always enough time to do the things you want. All else is an excuse. Would it be better if I spent 3 hours on the bike or the couch?
12. What 3 words would you use to describe yourself? Laid-back, competitive, optimistic
13. Aside from triathlons and working out, what is your favorite hobby? Writing and video
14. If you could go anywhere in the world, where? And why? The UK or Austria. Would be cool to hang out with my people.
15. Favorite Nashville Restaurant? Margo
16. Favorite sport other than endurance? To play: Baseball Watch: Badger Hoops
17. Favorite band? U2
18. Which Fab 5 member will cross the finish line first? Jim Schwan
19. How do you think doing this Ironman will change you? It changed my life the moment I signed up. It forces me to be more selective and pursue things I find important.
20. Are you racing for anyone? Tim